Most food items at grocery stores that are approaching their best before dates are often thrown out. Those items are not only a loss for the store, but they take up space in landfills as well.
Flashfood gives grocery stores a way to sell these fresh food items through their app. Savvy shoppers can order items at 50% off and pay for them through the app. The purchased food will be stored in a refrigerator or storage rack located in the front of the participating Meijer store until picked up by the customer, who confirms the order at the customer service desk.
Benefits to the Flashfood program
- Save 50% off close-dated meat, produce, deli, seafood and bakery products (“best before” dates within a few days up to 2 weeks).
- Shop the clearance rack from the comfort of your own home – and decide if it’s worth a trip based on what’s available that day.
- Thousands of pounds of food is used, rather than wasted and sent to landfills.
- Enjoy healthier food items like produce and meat that may otherwise be outside your budget.
When is it coming to your area?
Flashfood was piloted at Meijer stores at these 4 Michigan locations, but will begin rolling out the opportunity in February to other areas. The goal is to have all 246 Meijer stores on board with the program by the end of 2020.
- Meijer Brighton: 8650 Grand River Ave, Brighton
- Meijer Haggerty Road Commerce: 1703 Haggerty Rd, Detroit
- Meijer Howell: 3883 E Grand River Ave, Howell
- Meijer Waterford: 4200 Highland Rd, Waterford
Flashfood is a free app available on iOS and Android. For more information visit www.flashfood.com or follow on Twitter @flashfoodinc.