Today (April 4, 2020), Meijer announced additional steps that they are taking to protect both shoppers and team members in their stores. You’ll want to note the limit on shoppers per trip (as well as the total number of customers allowed in the store) and the temporary end of the weekly sales ads.
I’m thankful for all that Meijer is doing to keep us as safe as possible while shopping. Remember that there are also great options for Meijer pick up and delivery as well, along with the Shop & Scan program.
Meijer has released new steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Asking customers to limit the number of shoppers per trip, while understanding that some customers may need additional assistance.
- Monitoring the number of customers in the store (managing the number of shoppers to support proper social distancing)
- Temporarily suspending the weekly sales ad beginning April 12 (Meijer had previously reduced it to a 4 page ad).
- Conducting health screenings and temperature checks of each team member before they begin each shift.
- Installing protective plexiglass shields at all check lanes and pharmacies in its 248 locations.
- Adding signage and broadcast announcements inside the store about proper social distancing.
Safety measures Meijer has previously implemented:
- Suspended the use of re-usable bags by customers in its stores (unless used for the Meijer Shop & Scan program).
- Discontinued bottle returns at Michigan locations.
- Stopped the acceptance of product returns at all our Customer Service Desks until April 16, including recalls, exchanges and deposit refunds. Extended the eligible return policy to 120 days for all items.
- Temporarily removed Sandy the Pony from the front end of its stores.
- Placed decals on the floor 6 feet apart in lines for check lanes, pharmacy and service desk counters.
- Suggested customers use the length of their shopping carts to gauge appropriate distance from others where there aren’t decals on the floor.
- Reduced shopping hours to support deeper cleaning overnight and re-stocking efficiency.
- Dedicated shopping hours for senior citizens, customers with chronic health conditions and essential service workers.
- Encouraged the “express pay” option through the Meijer pharmacy enhanced text messaging program, which provides a contactless experience when picking up most prescriptions.
Source: Meijer Press Release