Gymboree Group, Inc. is a portfolio of children’s brands operating specialty retail stores with high-quality clothing and accessories for children. The Company currently operates 380 Gymboree stores in the United States and Canada. Gymboree Group’s family of brands includes Gymboree, Janie and Jack and Crazy 8, with hundreds of retail stores across the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico as well as online stores.
I’ve watched in the past year as my local Crazy 8 and Gymboree stores have gone out of business, while the online websites have continued to operate. Today marks a final chapter for all 3 brands in the Gymboree group with the filing of Chapter 11 Bankruptcy (though Janie & Jack and Gymboree could still be sold to other companies).
Gymboree shared the following message on Facebook today:
It’s been a tough week here at Gymboree. After 40+ years of celebrating childhood with you, we’ve had to make the heartbreaking decision to wind down our business. We appreciate your passion for this incredible brand. We can’t thank you enough for letting us be a part of your lives, for all the fun and for sharing your best moments with us. You’ve inspired us every day.
If you’re like me, you still are left with quite a few questions. Here are some answers from their official FAQ:
Is my local Gymboree, Janie and Jack or Crazy 8 store remaining open?
- We will be closing all of our Gymboree, Gymboree Outlet and Crazy 8 stores.
- We anticipate the store closures will begin this week and that they will largely take place over the next few months, although some stores may close within a shorter or longer time period. We will conduct going out of business sales at these stores. Please visit www.gymboree.com and www.crazy8.com for a list of store locations.
- We are continuing to pursue a sale of our Janie and Jack business and a sale of the intellectual property and online platforms for Gymboree.
Can I still use my GymBucks and Gymboree rewards?
- Gymboree Group has discontinued its GymBucks and Gymboree Rewards programs effective immediately.
Can I still use my Gymboree, Crazy 8 or Janie and Jack gift card or merchandise credit?
- We have asked the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for authorization to honor return policies, merchandise credits, and gift cards for 30 days.
- Once going out of business sales begin, all sales will be final.