Another of my favorite easy quick breads, this one uses pantry ingredients that I always have on hand. Super soft and not overly sweet, it also freezes well (just wrap in plastic and place in a freezer bag). I’ll have to add a picture next time, since the 2 loaves I baked this week have already disappeared!
Print This Recipe
CHOCOLATE QUICK BREAD
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 3 ½ cups unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Stir dry ingredients together in large bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients together by hand in a separate bowl. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients with a few strokes of a spoon until well blended.
- Pour batter into two 9×5″ loaf pans coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake 60-75 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on racks.
This bread freezes well. After loaves have cooled, wrap in plastic wrap and seal in a freezer bag.
Thanks for sharing!! Aside from sounding jut plain yummy, I was looking this afternoon for something to use up some unsweetened applesauce 🙂 This is perfect!
Jenifer W. says
We went through 2 loaves of your strawberry bread recipe this week thanks to Meijer’s $1 strawberries. This one sounds super yummy too.
Michele W says
I just made this recipe…Already smells great in the kitchen. Would sure LOVE to have the recipe for strawberry bread. I tried searching the site, but it didn’t come up!! Got me some $1 strawberries I would LOVE to use up!! Thanks!
I found it on the Facebook page!
STRAWBERRY BREAD (Lower Fat Version)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 – 1 1/4 cups strawberries (about 1 lb, chopped)
1/3 cup egg whites (or 2 eggs)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (to replace 1/2 cup oil)
1. Mix dry ingredients.
2. In a separate bowl, beat eggs with oil and vanilla.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Fold in berries. The batter might seem a little stiff, but it’s necessary to hold the bread/berries together.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes in greased loaf pan.
5. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
* I always double the recipe when I bake quick breads like this – it saves me time and the bread freezes amazingly well. Wrap cooled loaves in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag.
* One 16 oz container of strawberries, well-chopped, made 2 loaves for me with PLENTY of strawberries throughout!
* Don’t forget that these also make great muffins (and they freeze well for hectic mornings)!
* I like to add some cinnamon for a little flavor!
Is Aldi the best place to get unsweetened cocoa powder?
Depending on how much you need, I get it at Aldi (it’s only available seasonally, though) or at Sam’s Club.
So does Aldi only have it during the holidays, then?
Usually, though they might still have some left. I’ll try to peek next time I go.