This bread complements a warm bowl of soup or a roast beautifully – and there’s rarely any left after the meal! It’s also delicious as an appetizer with spinach dip. It’s a very frugal alternative to boxed mixes and most people say they can’t taste any difference!
3 cups all-purpose flour*
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup sugar
1 (12 oz) can of beer (or other carbonated beverage)
¼ cup melted butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients with one 12-ounce can of beer (or any other carbonated beverage).
Transfer into a greased 9×5″ loaf pan.
Optional: pour 1/4 cup melted butter over batter.
- Bake 50-55 minutes, until loaf is golden brown and pulls away from sides.
- Remove from pan. Cool 15-30 minutes before slicing.
- Add 2 tablespoons dill, Italian seasoning, or garlic powder.
- Try it with ½ – 1 cup cheddar cheese mixed in the batter.
- Use an orange or cherry soda for a sweet twist!
*NOTE: You can substitute self-rising flour for all-purpose flour. When using self-rising flour, LEAVE OUT the baking powder and salt.
Mix up the dry ingredients (minus the beverage) and put them in a nice bag tied with a ribbon for an easy gift idea or gift basket addition!