July in Michigan is prime blueberry-picking time! We love visiting a nearby blueberry patch with the family and picking as many as we can. This muffin recipe requires no eggs – and it works perfectly with fresh or frozen berries. The crumb topping adds a delicious crunch you’ll love.
[print-me title=”Print This Recipe”]
Lowfat Blueberry Muffins
In our family, we’re usually looking for recipes that are allergen-free and lower in fat. This simple blueberry muffin recipe combines blueberries with pantry ingredients I always have on hand. Bake ahead and freeze for an easy breakfast treat!
1 ½ cups flour
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ cup milk (dairy, soy, almond, or rice)
¼ cup canola oil (or other oil)
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Prepare muffin pan with non-stick spray or cupcake liners.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl (flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking powder). Add milk and oil. Stir until blended.
- Carefully fold in washed blueberries (you can use frozen berries; don’t thaw them first).
- Divide batter into 10-12 muffin tins.
- Optional crumb topping: if desired, combine ¼ cup sugar, 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons flour, 1 tablespoon cold butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix together with a fork until crumbly and sprinkle over muffin batter before baking.
- Bake 22-28 minutes. Makes 10-12 blueberry muffins.
Did you just pick berries or find a great sale price? Freeze fresh blueberries, unwashed, on a cookie sheet. Measure in 1-2 cup portions and place in freezer bags to use in future recipes.
Looking for a great full fat recipe instead? Try these To Die for Blueberry Muffins.