Is it true that Meijer will discontinue double coupons in ALL stores?
NO. In spite of the news reports you may have heard.
Beginning this past Sunday (March 3, 2013), these signs began appearing in select Meijer stores:
Meijer shoppers were left wondering whether their store would be included in the coupon policy change. It was difficult to determine the truth, even from customer service representatives, who themselves sometimes had no knowledge of the change. And then local news channels began falsely reporting that the change would affect all Meijer stores – or all Michigan stores.
Up until this point, Meijer has officially shared a response to some posts only on their Facebook page:
It’s true that we are eliminating double coupons in our Battle Creek, Lansing, Ft. Wayne and South Bend Markets. As a course of business, we will continue to evaluate other markets to determine the appropriate coupon strategy for that specific market based on our opportunity to reinvest in low prices across all of our items. Double coupons only affect a certain percentage of items. We believe that investing in lower prices across the store is more of a benefit to our customers. We will still accept coupons at face value, and are still offering great savings with everyday low prices, weekly specials and mPerks digital coupons.
So I’m happy to be able to share a more official list of stores with you today!
Which Meijer stores will be affected by this coupon policy change?
Meijer has still not issued a press release with an official list at this point. However, Rachael (a B2B reader) communicated with a very helpful corporate representative, who was given permission to share the list of stores affected by the double coupon policy change! This is the list that all Meijer stores received from corporate…
Meijer Stores that will END Double Coupons
Meijer is discontinuing Double Coupon savings after Saturday, March 30, 2013 in select stores. Only 26 Meijer stores are affected starting March 31, 2013 – see list below.
MICHIGAN Stores (14)
- Bath Township
- East Lansing
- E. Jackson (E. Michigan Ave.)
- Grand Ledge
- Jackson (Airport Rd.)
- Lansing (W. Saginaw Hwy.)
- Lansing (S. Pennsylvania Ave.)
- Mt. Pleasant
INDIANA Stores (12)
- Fort Wayne (Lima Rd.)
- Fort Wayne (Illinois Rd.)
- Fort Wayne (Maysville Rd.)
- Mishawaka (S. Bremen Hwy.)
- Mishawaka (Grape Rd.)
- South Bend
Other Meijer Stores will CONTINUE to Double Coupons
Any stores currently doubling coupons should continue to do so at this point. These stores may have avoided the 3/30/13 change, but be prepared for all Meijer stores to follow suit at some point down the road. The latest rumors say these stores could change policy in September. Or that stores will continue to double coupons only on certain dates.
So what can you do?
If you see the “we [Meijer] will no longer double coupons” sign in your store:
- Share your concerns. If you see a sign like this one in your store that announces the end of Meijer double coupons, share your concerns respectfully with your store director by phone or email. Complete the survey at the bottom of your receipt(s). While this isn’t likely to change the outcome, it will make them take notice of the effect this has on their loyal shoppers (or so we hope).
- Be kind to cashiers. While it was not their choice to change the coupon policy, they will need to scan your coupons as part of their job. They do not deserve the backlash they may receive from disappointed customers; this change is likely to make their days more difficult and they could use a little extra grace.
- Roll with the punches. If you’ve been using coupons for any length of time, you’ll know that changes in policy are beyond shopper control – and they actually happen quite often. Do your best to save where you can, when you can, within the rules you are given.