Meijer: A list of 26 stores that will end double coupons

This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy. 31 comments

Is it true that Meijer will discontinue double coupons in ALL stores?

NO. In spite of the news reports you may have heard.

Beginning this past Sunday (March 3, 2013), these signs began appearing in select Meijer stores:

To keep our everyday prices low, we will no longer double coupons after 3/30/13.

Meijer shoppers were left wondering whether their store would be included in the coupon policy change. It was difficult to determine the truth, even from customer service representatives, who themselves sometimes had no knowledge of the change. And then local news channels began falsely reporting that the change would affect all Meijer stores – or all Michigan stores.

Up until this point, Meijer has officially shared a response to some posts only on their Facebook page:

It’s true that we are eliminating double coupons in our Battle Creek, Lansing, Ft. Wayne and South Bend Markets. As a course of business, we will continue to evaluate other markets to determine the appropriate coupon strategy for that specific market based on our opportunity to reinvest in low prices across all of our items. Double coupons only affect a certain percentage of items. We believe that investing in lower prices across the store is more of a benefit to our customers. We will still accept coupons at face value, and are still offering great savings with everyday low prices, weekly specials and mPerks digital coupons.

So I’m happy to be able to share a more official list of stores with you today!

Which Meijer stores will be affected by this coupon policy change?

Meijer has still not issued a press release with an official list at this point. However, Rachael (a B2B reader) communicated with a very helpful corporate representative, who was given permission to share the list of stores affected by the double coupon policy change! This is the list that all Meijer stores received from corporate…

Meijer Stores that will END Double Coupons
Meijer is discontinuing Double Coupon savings after Saturday, March 30, 2013 in select stores. Only 26 Meijer stores are affected starting March 31, 2013 – see list below.

MICHIGAN Stores (14)

• Bath Township
  • Charlotte
  • Coldwater
  • Dewitt
  • East Lansing
  • E. Jackson (E. Michigan Ave.)
  • Grand Ledge
  • Jackson (Airport Rd.)
  • Lansing (W. Saginaw Hwy.)
  • Lansing (S. Pennsylvania Ave.)
  • Mason
  • Mt. Pleasant
  • Okemos
  • Owosso-Corunna

INDIANA Stores (12)

• Anderson
  • Angola
  • Fort Wayne (Lima Rd.)
  • Fort Wayne (Illinois Rd.)
  • Fort Wayne (Maysville Rd.)
  • Goshen
  • Kokomo
  • Lafayette
  • Mishawaka (S. Bremen Hwy.)
  • Mishawaka (Grape Rd.)
  • Muncie
  • South Bend

Other Meijer Stores will CONTINUE to Double Coupons

Any stores currently doubling coupons should continue to do so at this point. These stores may have avoided the 3/30/13 change, but be prepared for all Meijer stores to follow suit at some point down the road. The latest rumors say these stores could change policy in September. Or that stores will continue to double coupons only on certain dates.

So what can you do?

If you see the “we [Meijer] will no longer double coupons” sign in your store:

• Share your concerns. If you see a sign like this one in your store that announces the end of Meijer double coupons, share your concerns respectfully with your store director by phone or email. Complete the survey at the bottom of your receipt(s). While this isn’t likely to change the outcome, it will make them take notice of the effect this has on their loyal shoppers (or so we hope).
  • Be kind to cashiers. While it was not their choice to change the coupon policy, they will need to scan your coupons as part of their job. They do not deserve the backlash they may receive from disappointed customers; this change is likely to make their days more difficult and they could use a little extra grace.
  • Roll with the punches. If you’ve been using coupons for any length of time, you’ll know that changes in policy are beyond shopper control – and they actually happen quite often. Do your best to save where you can, when you can, within the rules you are given.

Comments

I think it is stupid. Why are only certain stores getting the double coupon axe?

BTW, the two Jackson, MI stores are reversed. (E. Jackson is on E. Michigan Ave and Jackson is on Airport Rd.) :)

Thanks, Sommer. The list was a bit cryptic with road names for some locations and cities for others!

No problem! Those are my two stores I shop with the Airport Rd being the one I go to just about every week. :)

Tammy R. says:

It just breaks my heart that these stores have to close. There are quit a few of us out there that are using coupons to help make ends meet for our family needs. Then you see all this nonsense with the progam that goes on and on about how you can purchase hunderds of one item and only pay pennies.

Now we know this is not true because there is only a few places that do not have a limit. So now we get all these people excited about saving money and trying to follow what they see on TV. Then most times it gets out of hand and you start to see more and more fraud and misused coupons.

Shame on extreme coupon shows that are not reality.

My area is not one of the ones affected by this at this time but I’m just thinking about the ones that it is going to affect. I’m so sorry for all of you who are loosing the double coupons.

Best of luck to everyone.

I’m glad that Indianapolis stores will continue to double (for now). I expect they’ll eventually stop, though. That said, I sometimes still find great deals at Target and they have never doubled coupons. I also get some great deals at Meijer that have nothing to do with double coupons. I’ve “couponed” for years. As you said, we have to roll with the punches. Also, I’d like to add, I’m (almost) always nice to cashiers.

I think it’sisleading how they are promoting the mperks coupons but what they fail to say is most are manufacture coupons & they can’t be used with a paper coupon. They won’t stack like that anymore.

I know exactly what you mean, sadly one of the cashiers at my store yesterday tried telling my that you can stack them with regular coupons and that is why they are phasing out double coupons. Because thats how they want them doubled now. It made no sense to me, I tried to explain the man. and how I’ve been at this for years. He told me I was mistaken thats why the coupons were calls “Mperks” because they were Meijer coupons. I didn’t blame him though, I’m sure that fully understanding Mperks and stuff is difficult.

Courtney says:

I was wondering about this after I saw a lady running an overstock store on FB. She buys a ton of stuff with coupons and re-sells it. Sure…she says she is not making money off of the products, just her “time” but could practices like this be part of the problem??

Roshina L. says:

This is not the problem Courtney…it is no different than if someone bought the stuff with coupons and donated it. They don’t know where the stuff ends up at. The problem is more people are couponing and the store eats the cost of the double up on the coupon. They only get paid the face value of the coupon + $.08. In this economy everyone should be couponing. ;)

I am also happy that Indy has given us a little more time! Although Muncie and Anderson stores are a little close for comfort!!

Marion opened a new store about a year ago and never did double…I couldn’t underestand that!
      Now to take away Anderson, Muncie and Kokomo’s doubling? It is a sad sad day!

I agree… Anderson & Muncie are too close for comfort! However, my Indy Meijer has a Walmart right across the street & with Walmarts price match & no double Q, I might as well go there & get same price.

melissa says:

Whew, so glad my meijers store is not affected by this !! ..yet…

Nichole B says:

Wait! I’m a bit confused. The Waterford location was on the first list of stores not doubling and now it isn’t on the list? Guess I’ll have to call the store directly and ask them.

I asked the cashier at the Meijer at 15 Mile Rd & Utica in Fraser, MI if they would be discontinuing doubling coupons and she said they would end doubling on 3/31. It’s not on your list, so, fingers crossed, I hope she was wrong. But I have spoken with this cashier before and know she is a couponer and she seemed just as angry as me about it.

Meijers is getting more and more confusing. Last night I went to Meijer at 26 in Lenox township. I bought 3 bags of Totinos 40 count that were on sale. On the bag was a peelie for FREE soda when you purchased this bag. Great! Combined with the .75 off 3 it wasnt a bad deal. When we went to check out, the guy running the self scan said ” You cannot combine offers any longer”. Confused I asked what that was all about..he stated “because the pizza rolls are already part of a promotion, plus the coupon, plus the free soda..this is triple dipping and the machine recognizes this and now they have a quota in place”. Ive never heard of this. And NEVER had a problem. He said he confirmed with management and this is now the case. He stated that the coupons had reached their quota and the computer would no longer accept them. Even for people coming up doing the same thing AFTER us. Does this make sense to anyone????

Melanie says:

Not sure what he means by the quota, and obviously we can use coupons on items that are on sale (hence, the reason we stock up on certain items each week). I do see an issue in that if you purchased 3 bags and used your $0.75/3 that you should not have been able to use the coupon for the free soda as well. In that scenario, you need to buy 4 bags and use the $0.75/3 on 3 of them and the peelie for free soda on the 4th. Technically you tried using 2 coupons on a single item (both as part of the 3 and as the purchase required for the free soda) which is not allowed.

It’s not triple dipping since you can use a coupon on a sale/promotion, but you were using too many manufacturer coupons on the same Totino’s bags. You could use either the $0.75/3 or the free soda when you buy a bag, but not both. People try to stack savings like that often, but it’s a limit of one manufacturer coupon per item(s) and no other manufacturer coupons can be used on those same items, if that makes sense.

New computer software at the Adrian self-scan. Cashier told me that the computer asks if you want to use mperk coupon or paper coupon when both are attempted …wont let you use both anymore unless the mperk one is a store coupon.

I think this is sad. I currenty buy extra items when they are on sale and donate to my local chruch food bank which I am sure a lot of us do. Which I am sure I will still do but probably won’t be able to afford to give as much. Just for the sake of it I do not like using mperks I think it gets confusing since they added manufacturing coupons to it. I most likely will do most of my shopping at Walmart or Marsh since they are closer. Sorry Meijer no doubling than you won’t be worth me driving the extra few miles.

Marge,

Marsh stopped doubling a while ago. Also, the Meijer stores in the Indianapolis region are not impacted yet and will still double. You didn’t say where you were and Marsh does have stores in other markets, but they’re primarily in the Indianapolis area, so I’m posting this just in case it impacts you.

Good luck!

Melissa says:

I just read this post as I was getting ready to put together my Meijer shopping list for tomorrow and I am simply speechless… we just moved to the Lansing, MI, area from the metro-Detroit region and now all the Meijers near us no longer double coupons. I am terribly upset by this and it will significantly impact my grocery budget and whether I do all my shopping at Aldi and Kroger instead.

apparently meijers is taking complaints on the no doubling coupons issue so people can call and complain Call us toll-free at 1-877-E-MEIJER (1-877-363-4537) the meijer rep told me this when i called to voice my 2 cents worth.

christina says:

I was told by Meijer email that my store in Rochester Hills was not stopping the double coupons. I was at the store today & spoke to the manager and she said that ALL Meijer stores ARE stopping, but that she was not sure the date yet.

Kathleen S. says:

My Meijer ad today, March 17, 2013 (Ann Arbor) does not have the double coupons text on the back page.

I plan on using up as many of my 50 cent coupons as I can right up until the very end of March!!

MichiganShopper says:

I was in the Carpenter Rd Meijer in Ann Arbor (Pittsfield Twp?) this morning and the clerk let me know that ALL Meijer stores will discontinue double coupons as of March 30. I don’t know if that is true but it is clear this store will.

The Meijer in my area had just started to double up to .50 about three years ago when I started to read this site. I will just have to keep my eyes open for the weeks that the add says they will double now.

Meijer will certainly lose customers with by discontinuing double coupons. I have noticed that quite a few of the items I normally buy have increased, especially the bird food. I used to buy the 40 lb bag for $9.99, which was their regular price, and now it is $28.99. Forget Meijer — I will buy my bird food at Aco Hardware.

My wife was shopping at the Woodhaven, MI store and was told that coupon doubling stopped as of this morning!

Sorry-I went to Woodhaven this morning and was told that the cashier Thursday was mistaken. They are still doubling, for now. WHEW!!