Not all that long ago, I relied on a dry Italian dressing mix from an envelope for my basic pasta salad. I bought store brand, of course, but it still seemed expensive. I was thrilled to realize that a very similar recipe could be mixed at home – from herbs and seasonings I always have in my pantry. Not only does it save me a trip to the store, but it saves me money!
Italian Dressing Seasoning Mix (and Easy Italian Pasta Salad)
Dry Dressing Mix Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon table salt
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt (I like Lawry’s)
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Mix all dry ingredients together and store in sealed container.
- To mix as dressing, add 2 tablespoons dry Italian dressing mix with the following liquids and incorporate well: 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup white vinegar and 2 tablespoons oil (canola, olive, vegetable, etc).
Easy Italian Pasta Salad
This is my favorite mild dressing to use in pasta salad – and a great lower fat alternative.
Cook one box of pasta (12-16 oz dry), drain and rinse under cold water until chilled. Add your choice of fresh vegetables (use whatever is seasonal!) and/or cheese with the homemade dressing and chilled cooked pasta. I think it tastes better than fat free bottled dressing (and it has no preservatives!).
You’ll find the original full fat recipe and instructions here: Italian Dressing Seasoning Dry Mix Recipe