Since Meijer has $1 strawberries again this week, some of you have been asking for this recipe.
A great breakfast or snack, strawberry bread is a perfect way to make use of this season’s harvest!
[print-me title=”Print This Recipe”]
Lowfat Strawberry Bread
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 – 1 1/4 cups strawberries (about 1 lb, washed/chopped)
1/3 cup egg whites (or 2 eggs or 1 mashed banana)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (to replace 1/2 cup oil)
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs with applesauce (or oil) and vanilla.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Carefully fold in the berries. The batter might seem a little thicker than what you’re used to, but it’s necessary to hold the bread and juicy berries together.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes in a greased loaf pan.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- I always double the recipe when I bake quick breads like this – it saves me time and the bread freezes amazingly well. Wrap cooled loaves in plastic wrap and place inside a freezer bag.
- One 16 ounce container of strawberries, well-chopped, made 2 loaves for me with PLENTY of strawberries throughout! You can puree them if you’d rather not have chunks (it makes the baked result pretty and pink).
- Don’t forget that these also make great muffins (and they freeze well for hectic mornings)!
- I like to add some cinnamon for a little flavor!
- Egg-free variation: substitute 1 mashed banana in place of each egg.
- Looking for a great full-fat version? Try this one: The Best Strawberry Bread
A special thanks to readers Jen and Corinne for sharing their photos!