I’ve mentioned MyPoints in some of my presentations (as a way to earn free gift cards), but I realized that I haven’t ever described it to the rest of you! Here’s the scoop:
I joined my points in 2004 (yes, it’s been THAT long!) and have enjoyed the rewards ever since. My husband and I each have an account and we use it to earn about 2 $25 gift cards each year (4 cards between the 2 of us). We like to choose restaurant gift cards (Panera and Olive Garden are favorites!) and use them for free date nights, but there are plenty of reward choices (Kohl’s, Old Navy, CVS, Target, Walmart, Walgreens, Pottery Barn, Home Depot, iTunes, & Starbucks, just to name a few)! You can use them as gifts or special treats for yourself!
MyPoints will reward you for:
- Clicking on links sent to you in emails
You’ll get a few emailsÂ sent to your inboxÂ daily. I find I like these sent to my primary email address so I can click on the link and delete the emails immediately (they cluttered up my backup address and I would often forget to read them before they expired). You’ll get 5 points per email and 10 points per survey attempted (50 points if you qualify for the survey).Â Â Â
- Shopping online through the MyPoints website
You’ll be rewarded in points depending on the amount you spend. (I find that I get a better cash return through Ebates and Cashbaq, however).Â Â Â Â
- Printing and redeeming coupons
MyPoints partners with both Coupons.com and Smartsource printable sites. You’ll have to actually redeem the coupons to get the credit, however, and I’ve never seen the credit update in my account, so I’m a little hesitant to recommend it. Plus, when you print these same coupons from Bargains to Bounty, you’re helping to support the site (as well as my time and effort) – and I really appreciate that!
That being said, here’s my personal recommendation to make the most of a MyPoints account:
- Sign up for a MyPoints account. It’s easy and free (and as long as you can restrain yourself from the ads, you’ll come out with a little free spending money).
- Click on the daily emails as they arrive. Delete them afterward. Watch your points slowly add up. Be patient – it WILL take time, but you’re only spending a few seconds each day on this.
- Visit the MyPoints website occasionally and click on Easy Points. You’ll get 5 points for each ad/question you participate in.
- Shop through MyPoints only when Ebates or Cashbaq isn’t offering a better reward.